Because people are increasingly relying on their smartphones and tablets to surf the net, watch online video, do their banking, and make purchases, the threat of identity and data theft has never been greater or more serious. To address this growing vulnerability, Comcast has released Constant Guard Mobile, which is a security app that Comcast subscribers can download on their smartphone or tablet. Once installed, the app will protect the smartphone or tablet user from identity theft, phishing attempts, and other online threats that aim to steal private data and information. This app is available at no additional charge for Comcast Xfinity customers.
Accordng to Symantec, one of the major providers of internet security solutions, the number of mobile threats in 2011 was double the number in 2010. Globally, 35% of smartphone or tablet users have had their mobile device stolen—which leaves the former device owners vulnerable to identity and data fraud.
“Cybercrime on mobile devices is a growing trend,” explained Susan Jin Davis, VP of Strategic Services for Comcast Cable, “and we’re the first Internet service provider in the country to introduce online safety and security software to help protect our customers’ tablets and smartphones from cyber criminals. With Constant Guard, our goal is to make individuals and entire families safer online no matter what type of device they may be using.”
The new Constant Guard Mobile app lets customers log in securely so they can do their banking, shopping, email, and social networking without exposing their information to unscrupulous cybercriminals. It also includes the feature Constant Guard Safe Search, which alerts the mobile user if a website may be risky or might harbor malware.
When you download the Constant Guard Mobile App, you can expect:
- A secure and direct connection to banks and shopping sites
- Secure and automatic fill in of login information for banking, email, social networking, and shopping accounts
- Safety ratings enabled by Constant Guard Safe Search to help single out dangerous and suspicious websites
- Secure eCart Checkout will automatically fill in payment information forms, so there is no need to store your credit or debit information on the shopping site
- Conveniently syncs banking, email, or social networking accounts in your mobile device with your PC or laptop
While there is no antivirus protection for mobile devices just yet, Comcast is working on it and hoping to release the software soon for mobile users looking for extra protection. With the nation’s largest cable MSO leading the way for mobile security, it’s only a matter of time before other cable MSOs and broadband service providers will follow suit.